Thursday, July 08, 2004

cups configuration

Something that was making me angry with my Linux configuration
was my inhability to print from the HP laserjet 2100 printer
in my office. This is especialy true, since in the web everyone
says that it works well!!! It turns out that the problem was just
a lack of configuration in the cups package I have. I download
the ppd drivers from linuxprinting.org. However, everytime I sent
a job, it just printed something wrong, or not at all. After many
tryouts, I finaly decided to check the cupsd log file (/var/log/cups). It
turns out that the problems was the software not finding the scripts
foomatic-rip and foomatic-gswrapper, which should be in the
directory of the filters /usr/lib/cups/filter. Somebody at cups should
improve the feedback of this software, because I spent countless hours
trying to make this work, and cups is now on my blacklist of user
unfriendly software. Note that this is not worse because I am using
the excelent kde printing support, that is able to install and detect
printers (the original, html-based intaller of cups is horrible).

No comments: